Re: PT's vs. Pole Transformers

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Firstly, tesla coilers own pole transformers.  Farmers own pigs, especially
genuine pigs.
Secondly, pole transformers are power devices meant to step-down and
actually distribute power to homes and businesses.  Therefore, they are made
very rugged capable of withstanding
high power outputs (much higher than rated KVA rating of the transformer)
for shorter durations.
Potential transformers on the otherhand are just that.  They are designed to
step-down voltages for measurement (voltage potential) only.  They are not
meant to actually distribute power although
they do typically power stand-alone monitoring equipment (low power).  I
would guess a pole transformer, because of these differences, would be a
much more rugged device than a potential
transformer.  However, don't get me wrong.  GE potential transformers are
made extremely well and will hold up to lots of abuse!!!!  Just don't push
them too hard.

The Captain