Re: pole pig current limiting

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

The "Poor Man's Ballast" does work well for short runs with a potential
transformer (3-3.5kW), however for higher power transformers such as pole
transformers
you really need to get a good arc welder or a nice chunk of iron core to
wind your own ballast.

A Lincoln 220AC arc welder can be had used for less than $100.00 and provide
up to at least 100A of adjustable current limiting.  Ebay frequently has
lots of these
as well as your local welding dealer.  New they are about $250.00

The Captain