Re: Adding Secondary High Voltage Mail List group ? ? ?

Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

On Sat, 03 May 2003 14:14:01 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 >Hi Mike,
 >
 >At 07:49 PM 5/3/2003 +0100, you wrote:
 >>
 >>I think that the subject of Marx gens in particular, and  spark-oriented
 >>HV topics in general is
 >>sufficiently 'close' to Tesla Coiling that a large proportion of the Tesla
 >>list would have some
 >>interest/expertise, and is likely to generate sufficiently few postings that
 >>a) most Tesla list members would not object to such topics, and
 >>b) would not generate sufficient traffic on their own to justify a
 >>seperate list - lists with little
 >>traffic tend to die out without a 'critical mass' of postings.
 >
 >There is no doubt that this list's topic is "Tesla coils".  If the number
 >of posts per day is high (like 50+) there is no room for anything else.  If
 >things are slow, I may let other closely related things sneak through.  The
 >recent Marx generator thread was one.  Things like Marx generators, HV
 >stacks, and other hobby high voltage generators are "close enough" to sneak
 >in from time to time if things are slow.  They are also electrical machines
 >that may have many questions as to their construction/operation that "we"
 >will know.  I usually do not allow Van de Graaff generators and other
 >electrostatic machines since they are well discussed elsewhere and are more
 >physical devices rather than electrical (plug into the wall machines).

Another possibility might be something like what the PICLIST does - topic
tags, which users can use
to filter.
Perhaps something a simple as the poster (or moderator if the poster
forgets) adding a tag (e.g.
[HV] in the subject line for posts not strictly Tesla related. That way the
people that don't want
the other stuff can set up a filter to ignore these.

The other thing that might work is to have a 3-level moderation scheme, i.e.
1)  Tesla
2) Other HV
3) Reject

Users could select in their subscription preferences whether or not they
want to receive (2).