Spurious Precision Alert!! was Re: Suggestion on Power Supply?

>Note that a say 15000Vrms transformer has a peak output voltage of 15000 x
>SQRT(2) = 21213.2 volts.  You multiply the RMS voltage by 1.4142... to get
>peak volts.

I would say that a 15kVrms transformer has a peak output voltage of
21kV.  I doubt that the nominal RMS output voltage of the transformer is
15000.0 volts +/- 0.1 V (although, I will grant that you might have
accumulated some sort of nifty precision HV transformer...), and, of course
that assumes your line voltage is whatever the nominal nameplate line
voltage is (120V? 117V? 115V?)

Just as a general rant, TCs are fairly non-precision devices, so it's
probably not worth carrying precision of better than 1-5%.  You had better
have enough adjustability in the system to accomodate that kind of variation.

Naturally, one can and should make measurements to a higher precision if
investigating small scale effects on a like to like basis (like evaluating
resonant frequency and losses in a secondary with changes in weather), but
for initial design purposes, 5% is probably sufficient.

Curmudgeonly yours,
Jim