Re: Why we build these things Was: Re: Tesla Coil Dream

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

That's how it got me:

For me it all began with at kind of bet. I built a very small odin-like coil
years ago ( doesn't exist anymore ) and during a conversation with my former
elecrtrical egnineering teacher noted one could make sparcs of 1 foot in
leght with "homebrew" equipment. I tried to explain it to him and he finally
stated that this was impossible and result of my fancifullness. Of cource I
felt I had to proove he was wrong as everyone in class had heard the
diskussion. It took almost one year till I found time to build my first real
tesla coil and it only made 1 foot streamers but that was all I wanted to
proove. I showed the coil to the calss and teacher by that won that bet. I
could have been happy with that, but suddenly I felt I really didn't care
about what "they" thought. I accidently found a new hobby and that was much
more imortant to me, the storys about the life and inventions of Tesla
himself did their part, too.
Years ago I came into electronics by building tube amps, but later I just
couldn't find the time to carry on with that. For me it's primarily
important that I have found again something that gives me the chance to deal
with technics and do some workmanship.
I really don't care if people think TC's are usefull, in fact most are happy
with the "just for the fun of it" explanation as when they see a TC running
they find it fun to watch the streamers, too.
Those who dont't like TC's are usually the type that don't like any tech
stuff at all, so why bother.

now I'm biulding TC's for almost 8 month. probably short compared to most of
you out there. but I spent a lot of time with that and that time is probably
spent better on TC's than on sitting in front of the TV doing nothing at
all.

I feel people shouldn't care too much about what oher people think about the
coiling as long as the don't hurt or annoy anyone with their activity.

Nevertheless I have to admit I don't know where it will end....maybe the Tim
Allen -effect......going for more power ;-)

Greetings & happy coiling

Christoph