DRSSTC update - science fair stuff

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I am starting to get back to work on my coil, now that the science fair is
over. I got third in my division (high school kids, electronics). I am kind
of dissapointed because there weren't that many projects, and they gave two
thirds. The worst part is that the first place project was finding the
optimum temp. to run solar cells (grumble grumble). kind of like the part
of my project when I did the peak current tests, except that you can't find
the answer to that on the datasheet (and that my test was done without good
equipment, and I may be 10% off) . Ok, I'm done complaining now ;-)).

The good news is that I get to go to the state fair next monday, hopefully
they will have someone who can understand my project. I got a couple IGBT
bricks from ebay. part number CM150DU-12H. They can switch 600v -at- 150a, and
aren't too much slower than the little guys. I dont have any extras, so I
am going to run the gate "down" around 30v to be safe. I am trying to keep
the log book updated, so you can check my progress there. I also have some
more pictures to upload. so far I have gotten frustrated with bad
connections again, and have decided to just use the bricks. I have been
having more problems with bad connections and dead gate drive chips, but
the brick IGBTs have been nice so far because the part count on the
H-bridge went from 16 to two ;-)).

Jimmy