IGBT Brick hits 1200A

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

I hooked up a test circuit for the bricks using a 10" single turn coil and
three 0.94uF MO caps in parallel. I charged the MO caps to 600V and then
turned the IGBT on briefly. These are the waveforms I got:

http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/oltc2/bricktestwfm.jpg

The current is about 1200A peak, that is still within the manufacturers
ratings :( Once I get a higher voltage supply I can get it up to about
2000A. You can see that the losses are quite high but much of this is
probably due to the dodgy oven caps and the 0.025 ohm current shunt. Also
check out the massive ringing due to recovery of the flywheel diode.

Here are a couple of pics of the test rig:

http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/oltc2/bricktestsetup.jpg
http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/oltc2/bricktestcloseup.jpg

Steve C.