RE: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

I believe you are referring to the Voltage vs Spark Length graph shown in my
Tesla Coil Construction Guide. To my knowledge this is the only graph of
it's type ever published for Tesla coils. Don't confuse this graph with John
Freau's Watts vs Spark Length equation. You appear to be confusing equations
for Voltage vs Energy with equations for Voltage vs Spark Length. There are
no theoretical equations for Tesla coil Voltage vs Spark Length, only
empirical equations based on tests under specific conditions.

I agree the single sparks from a Marx generator are not the same as multiple
sparks from the Tesla coil. However, I do not agree that the voltage for a
one foot spark can be the same as the voltage for a 5 foot spark. Tests from
high voltage research labs indicate spark length definitely increases with
voltage.

As I mentioned in my 1998 post my graph is based only on test information
available and estimates of the voltage by coilers at the time the graphs
were made. As there are no theoretical equations available for this type of
graph I mentioned that the graph is speculative and hopefully more accurate
graphs would be made in the future when more accurate test info becomes
available. It appears we are all waiting for this new graph to appear. Until
that graph shows up the one in the TCC Guide will have to do.

It would help if you would make a Voltage vs Spark Length graph with your
up-to-date info so coilers would have at least two graphs to compare.

John Couture