RE: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 21 May 2003, at 20:48, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

 > Malcolm -
 >
 > I believe you are referring to the Voltage vs Spark Length graph shown in my
 > Tesla Coil Construction Guide. To my knowledge this is the only graph of
 > it's type ever published for Tesla coils. Don't confuse this graph with John
 > Freau's Watts vs Spark Length equation. You appear to be confusing equations
 > for Voltage vs Energy with equations for Voltage vs Spark Length. There are
 > no theoretical equations for Tesla coil Voltage vs Spark Length, only
 > empirical equations based on tests under specific conditions.

No confusion. I read equations referred to on the website which
related voltage to sparklength.

 > I agree the single sparks from a Marx generator are not the same as multiple
 > sparks from the Tesla coil. However, I do not agree that the voltage for a
 > one foot spark can be the same as the voltage for a 5 foot spark. Tests from
 > high voltage research labs indicate spark length definitely increases with
 > voltage.

Perhaps you can explain the behaviour of my coil then? I am open to
viable alternatives if any exist. The output voltage does *not*
increase with the breakrate, of that I can assure you.

 > As I mentioned in my 1998 post my graph is based only on test information
 > available and estimates of the voltage by coilers at the time the graphs
 > were made. As there are no theoretical equations available for this type of
 > graph I mentioned that the graph is speculative and hopefully more accurate
 > graphs would be made in the future when more accurate test info becomes
 > available. It appears we are all waiting for this new graph to appear. Until
 > that graph shows up the one in the TCC Guide will have to do.
 >
 > It would help if you would make a Voltage vs Spark Length graph with your
 > up-to-date info so coilers would have at least two graphs to compare.

I could do but only for single shot mode for obvious reasons.

Malcolm
<snip>