Re: magnifier driver

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Collin!

 > hi all,
 >          im currently building my maggie and have a few questions.
 > how much gap should i leave between primary and secondary due to tight
 > coupling?

I use about 1,5" spacing at the bottom of my 8" master oscillator but I use
a inverted cone shaped primary ( 30 degrees )
I know that using two cylindrical coils is more common with magnifiers but I
was able get all the coupling I needed with this setup sofar....
The well known magnifier of Bert Pool uses this setup with heavy shielding
so this might be the better way, although from my peronal experience ( not
too much ) I can not really see a nessesary need for this to achieve good
power throughput, but that might depend on the mode you run your maggy
in....

 > i have a 21" primary so i was thinking the driver secondary could be 16"
 > heavily wrapped in poly or shrink wrap(saran wrap)
 > i thought 2.5" would be plenty clearance all round as the driver is only
low

I can't be sure about the influence of the frequency as the might be high
frequency feedbacks from the resonator. As Terry posted some days ago
wrapping with foil can be very efficient or submerging the whole pri - sec -
setup under oil.... very messy but probably the most reliable way...
Another point is that wrapping a coil in foil is not allways as pretty as
desired. I believe for the first setup you should be able to get along with
only very little insulation if you adjust your coupling carefully.

Nevertheless, I wish good luck for your magnifier experience, if set up
right a maggy really can ( can! ) outperform a conventional coil. This
subjective experience of mine is more related to the very smooth operation
than to pure sparc output ( although I achived better sparcs, too )

happy coiling!

Christoph