Re: Wimshurst (tesla coil current)

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Wimshursters:

I have had fine results using FR4 PCB material as disks for Wimhurst machines.
The prototype vas just plain PCB, home etched in ferrochloride. The next
batch were professionately made, goldplated sectors and soldermask, both
for "boy, does that look good" effect.
Makes it easy to have 48 exactly placed sectors. The neutralizing points
were small roundheaded screws, and although they promoted interdisk spark
formation at the low voltage end of the machine, they started up easily,
and produced as much spark as the acryllic disked machines that they
replaced. Sectors don`t fall off these disks.
I also deviced a drive layout with only one long belt, which does not have
to be crossed at one of the disks. This saves the machine from becoming
covered vith rubber dust in time.
This is getting OT, so if anyone is interested in this belt layout, I`l
describe it in more detail on the high viltage list where it belongs.

Cheers, Finn Hammer