Tungsten static gap

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hello,

Why don't more people use tungsten for their static gaps?  Is it strictly a
cost factor, quenching factor, or what?  It would seem to me that the
reliability and lack of frequent adjustments/cleaning would make this ideal.
If there are any negatives, please let me know before I proceed with
sticking money into a dead end.  I've got an idea for a novel gap layout
using tungsten rod, and it will be forced air with two HUGE muffin style
fans, so I don't see lack of airflow being a problem.  I also like to make
things once, and I don't mind putting a little extra time and $ into a
reliable product.  Please keep in mind that this is going to be powered by
two 12/120's.  I'm going to hire a friend who builds rotaries for Dr R's
transformers when they are available, but think that a static gap would be
better suited to long term NST survival for this coil.  Big NST's like this
are too hard to come by.

Thanks again,
John Richardson