Re: Terrified Parents

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

If it is any comfort to your mother, I have no direct,
personal knowledge of anyone ever being killed or
seriously injured by a Tesla coil. Your 12/30 NST can
deliver a nasty, painful shock, but it is highly
unlikely that it will kill you or do you permanent
harm. The power tools we use to fabricate Tesla coils
are far more dangerous than the completed Tesla coils!

Speaking of power tools, does your mom freak and
stress when you mow the lawn? I have no stats handy,
but I am confident that many teens are killed or
injured every year by lawn mowers.

In fact, every job, hobby, sport, activity, or just
about anything worth doing carries a certain amount of
risk. Tesla coiling occupies a pretty low spot on the
risk scale, way below skateboarding, woodworking,
cycling, swimming, football, or even driving a car.

Mothers are not always logical about such things. For
example, when I was 15, my mother had no qualms about
me keeping a deer rifle and a couple of shotguns in my
closet, but she would not allow me to keep a kingsnake
in my room. Gun accidents claim many lives and limbs
in the US every year, but I don't know of ANYONE who
has ever been harmed by a kingsnake! My mother had an
irrational fear of snakes, and no amount of logic or
reasoning could change her attitude. It sounds like
your mother has an irrational fear of electricity. I
don't know what you can do about it. Your mother has
the right to limit/restrict your activities as she
sees fit. Maybe you can find an adult to supervise
your coiling activities--someone your mother trusts.
Do you have an uncle or a kind neighbor who might be
willing to help you?

Good Luck,

 > Original poster: "margaret louise"
 > <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
 >
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am 15, and am in the process of building my first
 > TC, from a 12/30 nst.
 > However as my largish 12/30 NST arrived in the mail
 > today, my mother has
 > gone on a major freak/stress/ you are going to kill
 > yourself ramapage. I
 > tried telling her i had read the sftey doc on the
 > pipman site and numerous
 > other but to relatively no avail.  is there anyone
 > out there who can say
 > anything to help put her mind at ease?
 >
 > thaks, Ruben

=====