RE: Soft transformer turn on without a variac

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I don't believe that zero crossing switching will solve the problem.  I
think the problem is that the variac core retains a magnetic bias, so if
the initial turn-on phase is going the "wrong" way, the current will be
high regardless of turn on timing and variac loading.

A Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) thermistor is the simplest
solution and is what I use.  The one I use was pulled from some power
supplies at work, so I can't advertise a ready source, and the vendor
(KETEMA) seems to have vanished.  An alternative to using a thermistor is
to have a current limiting resistor in series with the variac, and have a
relay short it out 1-2 AC cycles after turn-on.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Another option may be a solid state or mechanical zero crossing switch so
that power is only applied to the variac when the mains voltage is 0V.

http://www.phenixcontrols-dot-com/Services/Engineering/Zero_Crossing_Mechanical/
Zero_Crossing_Mechanical.htm

http://www.celduc-relais-dot-com/uk/relais.asp