From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 October 2003 4:07 p.m.
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: MMC advice

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

What were you assuming for the following values?:

BPS (breaks per second, I get about 312 for your set up, P=0.5*BPS*Cp*Vp^2,
using Cp=16nF, Vp=6kv*sqrt(2), and P=30mA*6kV)

TK (thermal dissipation const for capacitors), I used 40°C/W

Rpri, (primary circuit resistance) I used 3 Ohms

This gives me 5 x 7 caps.

Good RF grounding of the coil will help. I (accidentally) ran my coil
without a ground once, there were major arcs and sparks between windings of
the primary - indicating lots of stress on the primary cct.

Plus, don't set your (primary not protection) spark gaps too wide, 2.2mm
*total* is good for about 8.5kVp (6kVrms).

<chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>  >  > Hi Tom  >  > Yes I did try the mmc
calculator (among others) and even now  > when I feed  > my values in it
returns a 6 x 4 array as the "best price for a fully  > safe
design".  Perhaps there is a fault with my filter/spark gap  >
grounding.  >  > Cheers, Chris (NZ)  >