Re: Primary construction

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi MCP,

2 turns sounds about right with a slight topload (maybe a point or your
coiled wire?). Could you do us a favor and give more info as to the wire
type used for the primary? We are still not clear on what your actually
using. The topload would also be much needed data. This type of data seems
to be very limited from coilers (full specs with center heights).

Both John C. and I truly enjoy crosschecking against the programs. We love
doing it or we wouldn't. Your coil is pretty cool to run through the phases
because of the extreme h/d ratio and small size. The 196 ft of wire is
correct (the 394 may have been due to the JHCTES v3.4 radius limitation of
0.5" as John explained). I personally won't recommend the toroid size
unless I know your supply specs. With more top C will mean more primary
turns. 1.2 MHz would indicate a linear current distribution (which would be
wrong).

Fres will be higher, but only "you" can prove that with a measurement (John
C. and myself always push for measurements when possible). If you don't
have the equipment to measure then I certainly understand.

As far as calculating the small coil of wire your using as a topload, you
might be hard pressed because it's difficult to model this as a topload
when it is in situation with other components, except modeling something
similar in shape, maybe a sphere. For example, I tried a sphere with
dimensions of 2" x 2" at a center height of 12" (above coil). Fres dropped
to 2.2 MHz and autotuned at 2.3 turns. Again, I have no idea of the topload
used, but this might be a method to try. FANTC may be another option as one
can be innovative in it's use. I may try that tomorrow if I get a chance.

Take care,
Bart