Re: skin depth

 > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: Peter Lawrence <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>
 >  >
 >  > I still find it very odd that apparently no one has done skin depth
calcs
 >  > for cylindrical wire, only for hypothetical infinitely wide infinitely
deep
 >  > flat plane conductors...
 >  >
 >  > Sounds like a good problem for a math-physics type, or even a
 >  > physical-simulation type.
 >  >
 >  > -Pete Lawrence.
 >
 > I suspect that was worked out at least 80 years ago.  Remember that if
 > the skin depty is a small fraction of the circumference of the conductor
 > it will be the same as for a flat plate.

Which, unfortunately, isn't the case for all the "useful" situations....
such is life.. On the other hand, rare is the time, indeed, when you need to
know the Rac:Rdc ratio with any real precision...The flat plate wrapped
around the cylinder is a useful approximation, and a lower bound on the
Rac...