Re: My new secondary

Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>

The only problem is that using wire that's .008" thick on a secondary 21" tall
would generate 2625 turns, and with a diameter of 4" would take 2748 feet of
wire. When you consider that #32 has ~160 Ohms of resistance per 1000 feet,
most of the coil output would turn into heat rather than electric potential.

This is basically the reasoning behind wire that generates between 800-1400
turns on a given form: It's around the maximum amount of seconadry inductance
you'll get before the increased resistance of the wire will overcome it.

This has got me speculating about an exotic superconducting secondary coil.
You could use the thinnest wire imaginable on a secondary, and as long as you
keep it filled with liquid nitrogen, it wouldn't heat up at all. But
superconductors bring up a whole new problem: Don't get above the critical
magnetic field that extinguishes superconductivity. And you'll want to get
materials with the same amount of thermal expansion... Anyone ever
considered/done this?