Re: 4420 driver ICs

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 1 Apr 2004, at 19:12, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
 >

 > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 >  > Umm im not sure what you mean...The input to the 4420?Or the
 >  MOSFET?The > input to the 4420 is connected to the antenna...
 >
 > Relying heavily on the chip's ESD protection to handle it, right? ;-)
 >
 > I mean it seems a bit odd, with potentially 100V... x kV antenna
 > signals going directly to the 4420 input pin. Now OTOH the 4420
 > datasheet shows internal protection diodes, so maybe your setup
 > actually _does_ have some chances of working properly (?) :)

The point I was trying to hint at was that if all that is connected
to the input is the antenna and the input is simply a gate, it will
have no way of discharging its input capacitance and can be biased on
forever by a tiny voltage on the gate. I would stick a high value
resistance between the input and ground so at least it had a fighting
chance of working. Protection diodes will not do the job. The
datasheets will no doubt tell the story.

Malcolm