Re: Whats in this old fuse?

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>I know it's not quite tesla related, but i was wondering what a white
>powder might be in an old cartridge fuse. The fuse is thick paper with the
>metal end caps, but what is this stuff inside?

    Can't guarantee, but sand fill was not uncommon.
    Multiple purposes:
     Kept the heat in, to speed action.
      In case of Really Nasty Fault current, it kept the
      fuse link remnants from scattering hot flaming glop
     (technical term...) all over creation.
    I suppose it 'could' be something else, but fine sand
    is likely.  (which can be bad to breathe...)

    best
     dwp