Countdown to 'CAUAC'.. 80kva 3 phase to DC coil to light again!

Original poster: syd <tesla-at-playahearth-dot-com>

howdy all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be installing and running
'CAUAC' again at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA on May
1st and 2nd. Although the tickets are a bit pricey, the music lineup is
extraordinary (if you're into that sort a thing ;o)  I wish that I were
able to get some tesla enthusiasts into the event for free, but alas, I
just don't got that kinda puLL. Any tesla list members that DO make it
down, well it'd be swell to talk to ya, and I'd be happy to show you around
the machine.

<http://www.coachella-dot-com/main.html>http://www.coachella-dot-com/main.html

I posted some info on this piece back in 2002, if anyone remembers, and I
fully intended to update my web site to share findings and technical
notes.. well.. almost two years later and I haven't touched the web site..
my apologies.

http://www.playahearth-dot-com/sydtesla/coachteslalbum/index.html

I still intend to revamp the whole site, and include in the tesla coil
section some things that I've learned along the way. Here's a couple facts
in the meantime:

Height:  15.5 feet
Power required:  3 phase delta 480 or 240 80kva
Lpri:  38uH
Lsec:  66mH
Cpri:  .191uF
Limiting Reactors: (3) 3.6mH Adjustable
Charging Reactors: (2) 2H  3A  26kvdc
Prim. Switch:  4 Gap series rotary variable
Topload:  82pF
Arc length:  25'+

This year I will be utilizing a number of things for this first time. Some
are rebuilds, and others are coming on-line fresh. First time appearances
this year are: Charging reactors (that was a legacy of research and
construction!) hope they work, a digital fiber-optic linked break rate
tachometer, a brand new 3 phase rectifier set with increased prv to 77kvdc,
a divider network so that I can monitor dc kilovolts in real-time. I've
also rebuilt all of the stationary gap electrodes with pure tungsten studs
which I silver brazed to pure copper rods. Gap losses aRe
SIGnificant!!  The tolerances on my rotary gap are so close now that
they're squeaking :o)

Anyway.. I'm also building fire towers so that the arcs can, at times, find
their way down through the wonderfully conductive flames.

zap zap!
hope some peeps can attend!

syd klinge