Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Very off topic, but you might be surprised! I've been seen at Harbor
 > Freight. ;^) We have a brand new one in Rochester. I've have some
 > Grizzly stuff too. I just wouldn't buy measuring or cutting tools there
 > and am very careful about what I do buy. It seems like all to often, you
 > end up rebuilding what you buy at places like that. The Big Yellow Box
 > had the best of everything for me to use for my job, but when building a
 > home shop, most folks, including myself, just don't have megabucks to
 > spend on equipment.
 >
 > Ed Wingate RATCB

	I have bought a lot of junk/stuff at their Pasadena store and have
found (almost) all of it to be worth the price; it just pays to know
what you are getting for your money.  In general the quality has been
higher than I expected rather than lower and that includes their twist
drills.  I bought one of their $19.95 special "electronic calipers" and
took it to the instrument lab at work and asked them to check it out.
The report was that it matched their gauge blocks perfectly, much to my
surprise.

	Remember that these are cheap foreign imports from a country with very
low wages but also is one which is capable of making high-quality gear
as well as junk.  You just have to be able to pick the wheat from the
chaff and gamble once in a while.

	One of the special items they have every once in a while is their
cheapie DVM, which I've gotten for as low as $1.99, although the usual
sale price is about twice that.  I'ved bought a number and they check
out very well against my expensive Fluke and again are worth the money.
I'm not endorsing them as a high quality source but just suggesting that
one shouldn't be afraid of going in the place.

Ed

Ed