Re: Spark Gap Question

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 11:51 AM 4/19/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: Tom Wideman <twidem01-at-baker.edu>
>Hey! Noob here again. I was just wondering about spark gaps
>and what types of materials you can use to make them. What
>do some of you favor? Copper plumbing tubes? Ball bearings?
>Screws?
Assuming you mean a static gap..

Copper pipe.. Cheap, easy to cut and drill, a good thermal properties.

>That is number 1.

>Then as I was thinking of how, when I made my first coil, I
>would gap the spark gap the right space.  Then I thought of
>a spark plug gapper! WOW! But as I was thinking i thought
>maybe I could use a spark plug for my spark gap!  Does
>anyone know if I CAN use a spark plug?

For a TC you want, in general, large surface area because you're running a
lot of power through the gap and you need cooling.  A sparkplug handles a
lot less power.