Re: The search for "old style" flybacks...

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 >  > Around this part of Southern California getting rid
 >  > of the bones after
 >  > you've picked off the meat is much harder than
 >  > scrounging the stuff in
 >  > the first place.  All is considered "hazardous
 >  > waste"  [eco-insanity but
 >  > that's another matter] and you can't just throw it
 >  > in the trash can!
 >  > Easier to buy the parts from someone who has solved
 >  > that problem, and
 >  > probably just as cheap if you place any value on
 >  > your time.
 >  >
 >  > Of course, that way you lose the thrill of treasure
 >  > hunting.  I really
 >  > like going through junk yards but have to resist the
 >  > temptation to bring
 >  > stuff home.
 >  >
 >  > Ed
 >
 > Ed,
 >
 > Yeah, you are probably better off that you live in a
 > place where there is concern for what goes into the
 > environment.  That's where we all should be headed.
 >
 > If you could see some of the places around here in the
 > south you would be amazed....maybe you have.  There
 > are some places where people have TV's, broken
 > microwaves, cars, refrigerators...all strewn around
 > and tipped over in the yard.  I should take a picture
 > of some of these yards...chickens running around
 > everywhere.  It's creepy.
 >
 > In any case, I apologize for getting sucked into this
 > redundant thread/argument.  I don't care where people
 > get their flybacks.  I just hope they have fun and
 > watch out for RF burns.
 >
 > -Brett

	We have plenty of places like that around here too, particularly in the
desert areas where no one really cares very much.  The urban areas have
been building up fast enough that there are few places where that amount
of junk can accumulate.  Used to be yards strewn with old cars 50 years
ago, but not many now.  We have junk yards but they are now behind
fences and usually guarded with dogs so not much opportunity for
scrounging.

	Should mention stuff lasts pretty well in the desert and some
collectors have found gold mines of "good stuff".  A friend of mine
brought me several NST's from a junk yard in Palmdale.  Probably had
been kicking around for many years but looked just about "as good as
new" except for sand blasting of the paint.  I have a rather rare Lake
Breeze hot-air engined fan which a friend of mine picked out of a sand
pile on a desert ranch.  A bit of repair and it works just as well as it
did 80 years ago.  Somehow or other there has to be a fine dividing line
between old junk and valuable antiques.

Ed