Re: phase conversion

An automobile alternator is an easy way to generate three phase AC (although
you'll have to fight the frequency and voltage issues).. Remove the diode
bridge. Most alternators I've seen for dismantling ( as in for 70's vintage
Datsun Z cars) also bring out the neutral.  The field is on the rotor on
these things, so there's only two slip rings.

 > utility company (and learn to continually balance the lines) or generate
it
 > yourself with a true three-phase generator.
 >
 > Phase converters allow you to run a three-phase motor using two of the
three
 > phases.  In all cases, you end up with a silent leg (some call it a
phantom
 > leg, it's all the same).  If all you want to do is run a three-phase
motor,
 > that's fine, a phase converter will work.

Because the motor is a nice balanced load it works well with the rotary
converter.

 > I've been wanting to generate true three-phase power so I could produce a
 > rotating magnetic field from a stator without a rotor.  I still haven't
 > succeeded because I can't afford the expensive three-phase power from the
 > utility company or the expensive three-phase generators.

Depending on your facility with mechanical fabrication, there are other ways
to make three phase.  You can get 3 phase synchronous motor/generators, and
drive them with an induction motor and some gearing (frequency problems!).
We used to have a 60/50 Hz conversion motor generator with a toothed belt
and timing pulleys (we called it Satan's Siren when running.. did it ever
whine).