Re: New Maxwell on ebay

Original poster: "BunnyKiller" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>
>Scot,
>
>Voltage is a huge factor in lifetime of a pulse cap - something like a
>fourth power.  If you seriously derate the voltage of the cap (which it
>sounds like you are doing) it will last MUCH longer.  Also, I don't know
>exactly where you're getting the numbers for your total capacitance, but
>keep in mind that if each cap is different, you'll end up not sharing the
>voltage evenly!  The voltage reversal is related to the Q of the system,
>and there is a formula to determine one from the other, but I can't
>remember it, is was posted a while back.  Typically, though, a TC gives a
>cap a near 100% voltage reversal.  The reason that the Maxwell caps
>survive this is the voltage underrating.  The VR rating is kind of like an
>AC rating vs. DC rating.  If you don't use the cap to the full DC rating,
>you can get away with much more voltage reversal.
>
>Sean Taylor
>Urbana, IL

Hey Sean...

the numbers are off of the cap itself...   as far as the math goes   I'm
deficient  and only using the basic methods taught in Circuits Class as far
as seriesed Caps ...  ( Im an Mech Eng.   not an EE....;)  )  ...

hmmmm   ( theres that sound again.. )   20% compared to 100%    I would say
that is a definate under-rating...  :)

as I said   I suppose my 200KV rating on the seriesed set of caps  is
saving my butt considering that I'm only pumping  38KVAC into the
primary...     but what about the ring-up when the gap conducts and
resonate rise occurs???    doesn't the primary system at that point see the
frequency of the secondary at that point or close to it ??   If I
understand this stuff correctly...   the primary system at the point of gap
conduction??  goes into the resonate rise ( e.g.  in my coils case
180KHz or so) so the primary for an instant is resonating at 180KHz
with the probability of going to 40-50 KV???   Even tho the caps I have are
rated as such...   I feel I have got my monies worth ...    thanks to
Maxwell for underrating their caps as much as they do  :)
Scot D

still pushing 12+ foot  streamers with the wrong caps  ;)

Quotes for the week....

CAUTION:
Mental Quarintine...
Enter at Your Own Risk
Sick Minds Are Contagious

Gravity is Non Existant
The world sucks...

Do Earthworms consider the branches of trees "air roots"

Are Magnets actually magnetic field black holes???