Re: Diode Strings

Original poster: "robert heidlebaugh" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Rick W: Thank you for your input; 1.414 x RMS (15 Kv is 22Kv) .In a full
wave rectifier the diode sees 2 x Epk. In a bridge the two diodes are in
series in conduction and in series when cut off ( reverse bias) with or
without a capacitor so the total voltage across the cut off diodes is Pk not
Pk/pk. That is the advantage of using a bridge. The disadvantage of a bridge
is it requires twice as many diodes. That is 4 strings not 2 strings. The
other advantage is a bridge produces full Pk voltage dc out not 1/2 Pk
voltage out.  If someone uses a NST  of 15 Kv rms with a full wave rectifier
having  one diode string to each leg  Ct  to ground, The output is 7 Kv x
1.414 ,about 11Kv, but the diodes see 2x PIV across the diodes . A bridge
would produce 15 Kv x 1.414 (22 Kv) but would see the same Piv across each
diode string as a full wave rectifier. Two diodes in series sees 2 x Pk / 2
diodes =  Pk each.
       Robert     H