Re: The equation used to calculate the resonant frequency of a secondary coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Robert,

On 1 Feb 2004, at 11:21, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: robert & june heidlebaugh
 > <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>
 >
 > Adam: You were given a formula. The problem is you dont know the self
 > capacitance so tables based on experimentation is required, I use
 > spaced wire so I can only wind a coil to approximat size and test the
 > results, The self capacitance of close wound coils dosen't apply. Use
 > the prograns provided by the Tesla list for best results.
 >       Robert   H

Medhurst's formula for Cself applies to both spaced and close-wound
coils to within a few percent. I have yet to find an exception
including one coil I built for a specific set of tests where spacing
was in excess of 100x the wiregauge.

Malcolm
<snip>