Re: A Question of Earth

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Hi Matthew
The shed and your toroid will be the elements of the capacitor that
resonates with your secondary.  Your RF Earth goes primarily to the shed
which should also go separately to a ground pole eg outside.  The ground
pole to earth the shed is mostly to prevent people leaning on the shed and
getting zapped, rather than being the main circuit path although the floor
will be one of  the 'sides' of your shed. The various metal sheets will be
interconnected with the multiple metal screws and don't need to be connected
separately.
A word of caution. It may be worth placing your electrical outlets in a
separate cage eg metal meter box to prevent RF getting into the cables.  I
get into trouble as running my coil resets our sprinkler controller in the
shed.  I also generate TV interference even with the door closed (ie Faraday
shielded) and despite using a mains filter on my 4 MOT setup.  Garage door
openers need to be shielded or disconnected.  Consider a 32A 240 V socket if
an electrician is doing the wiring for when you want serious power.

Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder) with an overflowing but grounded shed
http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren