RE: Conceptual Diagram - NEW Advanced SSTC Controller

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 01:06 PM 2/3/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
>

>Thanks for the feedback Jim.  Definitely great suggestions.
>
>That could definitely be one possibility to have a rackmount SSTC power
>system, and then a handhelp user controller which
>could be powered by a fiber optic serial connection.  I'm currently
>using PIC16C66x, PIC16C76x type devices (since I already have a complete
>emulator system which I'm doing for some consulting work i have) and
>that has full capability of
>serial communication.
>
>It would definitely keep the operator a bit away from the SSTC when
>making adjustments etc...
>
>Dan

There are some inexpensive plastic fiber connectors and emitters and
detectors.. MFOD and MFOE series from Motorola, if they still make
them.  If Motorola (or On-Semi) doesn't do them, then probably someone else
does.

The other thing that might be interesting is to use off the shelf IrDA
Transmitter/receiver modules. They're cheap (a few bucks).

Finally, the standard Optical interconnect on stereo equipment uses
1000micron plastic fibers, and those have got to be dirt cheap as
components, even if the optical cables seem to be excessively expensive.
Nice snap in connectors, etc. I had to laugh, though, when the guy at the
stereo store tried to sell me shielded optical cables.