Re: Safety Gap =

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Gary  Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I built my caps almost bullet proof.  They are all rated 40,000. volts each.
I want my coil to be maintenance free.  I think overkill is better than a
DEAD cap that has to be replaced.  I have not used safety gaps in so long I
have forgotten that people use them.  I assume it would be wise to use a
safety gap on caps that need the protection.  Richard Hall once said if you
build your caps with a voltage rating of 2.5 times the transformer voltage
safety gaps are not necessary.  After loosing a few caps I took his advise
and built all my caps 40KV rating and I have not lost a cap sence.

Hi Gary,
     . I think the debate comes down to this: For those who drive sitting
on their seatbelts their behavior is always rational and justified. To
those who don't drive that way, it never makes sense. For myself, I'd
rather use a $50 seat belt than buy a $50K armored SUV.  Being a poor
retiree, I find $2.00 worth of safety gap to be more cost effective than an
extra $100 of cap overbuild.

Matt D.