Re: Safety Gap =

Hi Gary,

The way I like to look at it is that the main gap is adjustible to a larger
gap size than I need.  The safety gap is there in case I open up the main
gap too wide.  For static gaps, I don't think a safety gap firing takes
power from the coil.  It is in parallel with the main gap and an arc thru
the safety gap allows the energy to go into the primary as well.  However,
it may not quench as well and this may be what you are thinking about.  If
you never open your main gap too far, you are probably right about not
needing the safety gap.

Gerry R.