RE: "aquarium gravel" in pole pig? :\

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >I see what looks like white
 >aquarium gravel in the bottom of the can and some on
 >the top of the transformer (I know that's not actually
 >what it is, of course).  Anybody have any idea what it
 >is?

Engineering shops often use absorbent granules for dealing with oil
spillages. The ones I have seen do look like white gravel. Someone probably
put them in the can after emptying it, to soak up any leftover oil. I don't
know what effect they would have on the transformer's electrical properties
if you left them in there :-P

Steve C.