RE: MMC Question

Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

The Geek Group ships caps *everywhere*, www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: MMC Question
>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:21:01 -0700
>
>Original poster: "Willem Bosma" <wbosma-at-stud.tue.nl>
>
>Hi everybody,
>New to the art of coiling, I am building a tabletop TC with an impregnated
>cardboard secondary. Its winding length is 275 mm and the diam. is 67 mm. I
>made a nice linear static gap with 10 copper tubes, l=80 mm, d=15 mm, each
>gap 0.3 mm, which sparkles beautifully when connected to my 8/50 NST. The
>solenoid that I made for it, D=150 mm, l=60mm, n=10, d=3mm, I plan to scrap
>and make a pancake coil instead; otherwise I expect an overtight coupling. I
>plan to make the pancake D1  4" and D2 8" with about 8 turns when using
>about 25 nF capacity. This cap I must acquire wich brings me to my problem.
>In polypropylene caps I may choose between 220 nF/1250 Volt a 2.74 Euro each
>and 47 nF/2000 Volt a 2.97 Euro. They are WIMA FKP 1 caps and according to
>some list "good". Economic sense tells me to buy the firstmentioned, but I
>smell a rat. The pulsed current in 2 strings of series connected caps may
>well be too much for the internal connections in the caps. Also the dV/dT is
>lower. Can some experienced coiler give advice? I live in the Netherlands
>and I do not know how to obtain "942" 's. These seem to be tops. Philips
>stopped producing PP caps. The production is taken over by BCC.
>Thomson-LCC is taken over by AVX (=>Kyocera). Is it necessary to become a
>member of the Geek group for obtaining these caps? I am a pensioned
>mechanical engineer and also a radio amateur (PA0TW).
>Best regards,
>Willem

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn-dot-com/msn/election2004.armx