Sealing Secondary Coil

Original poster: JOSEPH CACCIATORE <jocatch-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

Got my 2000' spool of #28 wire last night and wound my secondary (20" long)
on a 4" diameter PVC pipe 23" long. Now the question is what's the best
stuff to seal and protect it?

Alot of people use regular varnish I assume which has to be painted on with
a brush x times. Besides having a nice thick coating, any other advantages
to varnish? What about spray paint, the clear poly urethane stuff? It would
be nice and neat and able to fill the cracks OK but is it good for high
voltage? Any other stuff used to seal a coil on PVC?

JC