Re: NEED EQUIMPENT LIST

Original poster: "Crow Leader" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: NEED EQUIMPENT LIST

 > Original poster: Zagarus Rashkae <arbitrarily_random-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Aaron,
 >
 > If you have been doing that much reading you will
 > definitely know what components go into making a TC.
 > If yu're asking for what tools you will need to
 > construct one, here's a partial list of the stuff I
 > used to build my TC (not including the rotary gap
 > because that needed a whole lot of tooling :-) )
 >
 > --All those "normal" power tools and hand tools
 > (hacksaw, circular saw, drill, hammer, pliers, wire
 > cutters, screwdriver, etc.)
 >
 > --A soldering iron. For big things you will want a
 > blowtorch (say, you want to splice copper tubing for
 > the primary.)
 >
 > --A multimeter. Of course this is useless for
 > measuring very high voltage without a proper voltage
 > dividing network, but a good 200Mohm HV resistor in
 > series with the 10Mohm internal impedance will divide
 > the voltage nicely. However, don't count on it to work
 > at high frequencies.
 >
 > --A variac is nice and should be there if you can get
 > one. It's not essential but it is great for tuning and
 > first light.
 >
 > --An oscilloscope is nice but not necessary unless you
 > want to make a SSTC.

I like the oscilloscope. I had no idea what my first coils were really doing
until I saw the waveforms. The trashiest junkies tube oscilloscope is
completely fine for tesla coil use. The scope I used was possible rated 5MHz
and the discontinued probe cost more than the scope. If you can get the
trace to jiggle, it's good enough.

KEN