Re: MOT coil does not light

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Robert H. wrote in response to Aaron Aab's post:
>Aaron: (kv rms voltage is 0ver 12Kv peak voltage ( 9 Kv x 1.414=12.7 Kv) so
>your string of capacitors for 10 Kv is NOT enough. If your spark gap is
>close your string may work for a time, but it will fail after time. It is
>always better to have a higher voltage rating on your capacitor string than
>you are  suppling not less. Less is asking for trouble.

Would anyone like to suggest a rule-of-thumb multiplier value for this?

I am putting together my "dubious tank" of pulse caps that are rated at
15kV each, two in series per can.  I am going to use each can as a single,
30kV cap with my 12kV (approx; 2xMOT plus doubler) supply, so I'm working
in the "two and a bit" range.

It certainly doesn't matter if we over-rate for voltage, but under-rating
could get a bit exciting.  Very briefly and loudly ;-)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy