Re: Transformer Cost

Original poster: Dave Leddon <leddon1-at-llnl.gov>

Hi Ian,

Ah, another Bay Area coiler.  I'm afraid that there are no transformer
sources on the West Coast.  About two years ago Sean Taylor and I went on a
quest, scouring the Internet and asking everyone we knew about power
distribution transformers.  In the end, nothing.  The closest
re-manufacturer we found was located in Tucson Arizona and they had no
interest in selling to us.  The best deal I found was the guy on Ebay who
has some sort of arrangement with T&R Electric and was selling Pigs in the
$200-300 range delivered to your door.  But somebody screwed the pooch on
that deal and T&R terminated the arrangement.
Your best bet just might be D.C. Cox.  I bought a pair of his 10 KVA pigs
for $80 each which he shipped via Yellow Freight to Tracey.  I still had to
rent a pickup and drive the 30 mile round trip to get them to my
place.  But the painful part was the shipping cost,  $380 each.  So,
outside of Dr. R, your best bet is to keep a watchful eye on Ebay and hope
somebody on the West Coast wants to unload one.  I does occasionally happen.

Dave
Pleasanton, CA
stopped selling to individuals. At 04:51 PM 1/29/2004, you wrote:
>Original poster: Ian Macky <ian.macky-at-oracle-dot-com>
> > We sell them for $100 --- in south central Wisconsin.  14.4 kV at 10 KVA
>
>Can someone recommend a West Coast source?  Bay Area would be Excellent...

David H. Leddon
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave. L-495
Livermore, CA 94550-9516