Re: Transformer Cost

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Dave Leddon <leddon1-at-llnl.gov>
 >
 > Hi Ian,
 >
 > Ah, another Bay Area coiler.  I'm afraid that there are no transformer
 > sources on the West Coast.  About two years ago Sean Taylor and I went on a
 > quest, scouring the Internet and asking everyone we knew about power
 > distribution transformers.  In the end, nothing.  The closest
 > re-manufacturer we found was located in Tucson Arizona and they had no
 > interest in selling to us.  The best deal I found was the guy on Ebay who
 > has some sort of arrangement with T&R Electric and was selling Pigs in the
 > $200-300 range delivered to your door.  But somebody screwed the pooch on
 > that deal and T&R terminated the arrangement.
 > Your best bet just might be D.C. Cox.  I bought a pair of his 10 KVA pigs
 > for $80 each which he shipped via Yellow Freight to Tracey.  I still had to
 > rent a pickup and drive the 30 mile round trip to get them to my
 > place.  But the painful part was the shipping cost,  $380 each.  So,
 > outside of Dr. R, your best bet is to keep a watchful eye on Ebay and hope
 > somebody on the West Coast wants to unload one.  I does occasionally happen.
 >
 > Dave
 > Pleasanton, CA
 > stopped selling to individuals. At 04:51 PM 1/29/2004, you wrote:
 > >Original poster: Ian Macky <ian.macky-at-oracle-dot-com>
 > > > We sell them for $100 --- in south central Wisconsin.  14.4 kV at 10 KVA
 > >
 > >Can someone recommend a West Coast source?  Bay Area would be Excellent...

	A couple of years ago C&H Sales of Pasadena had a couple of brand new
pole pigs sitting in their warehouse on Garvey; might not hurt to give
them a call.  Didn't bother to ask the price but, like most surplus
outfits, the price is whatever they think the traffic will bear.  I'm
not sure the shipping costs are proportional to the distance so might be
just as bad from here as they would be from "back east".

Ed