RE: Specs inquiry for all

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Brett -

You can find the correct toroid for your TC with the program shown below.
You can get more data from JAVATC but the JHCTES is quicker.

For the past 15 years whenever a coiler posted his TC specs on the List I
would run the numbers thru the JHCTES TC computer program. I was especially
interested in the real world test numbers to see how they compared with the
program. This is the true indication of the worth of a TC computer program
when it can reasonably predict how the TC will perform. The problem was that
the tests the coiler made did not always agree with the program. This means
either the program is wrong or the test are wrong. In the past it was
difficult to convince the coiler that the program may be correct and that
his test were not.

I ran the numbers from your specs and found that they were very close to the
JHCTES program. The inputs I used were

  Primary     .0124   8.00   00   7.1

  Secondary  3.13   1031   42.96   00   18.7

The above is for the 4" x 17" toroid. For other toroids you only have to
change the input for the secondary terminal and click "Calculate". The
computer will change all of the proper outputs to keep the TC in tune. If
you run the above input numbers in the program you will find that the
outputs are amazingly close to what you found in your tests. The original
program showed .191 for the coupling. This is still being studied. It is
obvious that your skills (5 years ago) in building and testing Tesla coils
were very good.

The program can be found at    http://mgte-dot-com

Click on Tesla then JHCTES (Books). At bottom of book page click on JHCTES
Ver 3.42

John Couture