RE: Simulating Load for SSTC Coil Simulations - Terry Fritz model?

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Terry -

Your measurements of the impedance of the brush discharge of a TC is opening
up a whole new territory of TC research. I believe this research was first
started by the Corums several years ago and was briefly covered in some of
their writings. You said you were able to tune the coil with ZERO watts
reflected. This would refer to the VSWR of the coil. The VSWR graph for
radios and Tesla coils is shown in the Tesla Coil Notebook. The VSWR for
radios differs from Tesla coils because radios feed a resistive antenna load
and Tesla coils feed secondary terminals which are a capacitive load. The
basic equation is

     VSWR = (Vf+Vr)/(Vf-Vr)

This is related to the Q factor by

      Q = (pi/4)x VSWR   Q = pi/Log dec

The Q factor for 10% ringdown is

      Log dec = ln(a1/a2) = ln(10) = 2.3026
      Q = (pi)/(log dec) = 3.14159/2.3026 = 1.3644 per cycle

To my knowledge there has been little TC work done in this direction so it
will be interesting to see how the tests compare with the graph. Are there
any other coilers that have looked into this TC subject?

John Couture