RE: Am I courting disaster?

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Yes, this is for HV side protection. If placed on the
LV side, it would hardly protect the pig.

This one conducts at 18 kV and is for a 14.4 kV 25 kVA
pig. The photo doesn't do it justice, as it's probably
around 30" long and 3" to 4" in diameter.

As to whether it's a MOV, I've always assumed it was
simply a spark gap, since it's called an "18 kV gap":

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/adam/garage/gap_18kV_2.jpg

though it may be more than a simple spark gap. Someone
on the list disected one once, though I forget what he
found.

Adam

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/adam/garage/gap_18kV_1.jpg

http://www.novaris-dot-com.au/products/earthing/specs/ec20.html