Re: Secondary resonant frequency vs. Skin Effect

In classic pri-sec Tesla oscillators, in the sec circuit, the inductance
ratio is more important than Q factor.

With magnifier design the first sec coil (pri-sec system) must have a very
high Q factor.  The third, or resonator coil, does not require hi-Q.

Rich Hull and his group have proved this when they drive a closewound small
dia. wire design to 13 ft. long sparks from a resonator coil only 30 inches
long.

All of our classic coils routinely contain 800 to 1400 turns on the sec
inductor.

The correct design is easy.  As an example, let's say you have a 10 inch
dia. sec coilform.  Using an efficient 4.5:1 height to dia ratio, this
produces a winding length of 45 inches.  Next, divide the winding length, 45
inches, by 1,200. This will give you the dia. size of the wire required.
Use a wire table to look up the matching dia. and you have the correct (and
highly efficient) wire AWG.

Wind your sec coil with heavy armored polythermalize wire, install two
baffles of 1/4 inch acrylic approx 5 inches down on each end, top with a
toroid that has a major dia to coilform dia. of approx 2:1 or greater.

Measure the resonant freq with toroid in place.  Use the largest cap you can
(most energy) to match approx 8-14 pri turns.  Match the xmfr to the cap ---
keep the cap value approx 1.5 times the  resonant match value.

You will be rewarded with an efficient coil with very long sparks as
compared to it's overall height.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.