Re: Secondary resonant frequency vs. Skin Effect

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Ck,

Yes, skin affect does apply at 278kHz, but has nothing to do with the human
body. You were probably standing on the ground when you were took the
discharge and took the full brundt of a "then" grounded arc. I'm certainly
glad it wasn't fatal and happy your here.

The skin affect is a term which describes the density of flux linkages in
the conductor as they are related to conductance "within" the conductor.
Alternating current expands and callapses and as this occurs at higher
rates, the flux lines become displaced. It becomes less dense in the center
and more dense toward the edge or skin of the conductor. This causes a
reduction in the useful cross-sectional area of the conductor and
effectively decreases the conductance. In effect, it is as if a smaller
wire is now being used to carry the same current. The result is I^2R losses
in the form heat (as with everything). This will cause Q to drop.

The only reason to bother with the "skin effect" is to keep our eyes open
for AC losses. Should the losses be higher than we want, we increase the
wire size to ensure we have enough conducting area to carry the current
(without great losses).

Proximity effect is identical as far as causing the flux linkage
displacement and associated conductance loss, except that proximity sources
are external (i.e., typically adjacent wires).

Oh, question:

20"x48" at 278kHz? No way, it can't be done (at the stated 560 turns. Now
at 260 turns, yes).
Is it possible you meant 78 kHz? This would make sense and quite probable
with a 560 turn coil which has the geometry you described (with a topload,
not the self Fres).

Also, as this coil was built 28 years ago, did it use a helical primary or
a ribbon primary?

Just curious.

Take care,
Bart