From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 6:56 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Secondary size

Original poster: "J Dow" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

the first thing we need to know is what sort of power you will be
shooting for.
in general. all my coils do way better with taller sec coils. I use 1500

-1800 turn coils.
I find that a coil designed with a smallish tank cap. 12-20 turn primary

and a tall sec coil make longer sparks for a given power supply.

my largest sec coil was 10" by 36"(awg 22) and my primary was 18 turns,
it
tuned well at about 15.
this is with your standard size 8"dryerduct top.
however! after that sec coil burned to death I've had very good results
using a 4.5" by 41" (awg 24) 1750 turns. thinner taller more turns. it
tunes at 9 turns with the same top and power.
the 10" coil hit a little over 5 feet. the 4.5" coil hits about 6" less.
if I make a new coil I will use a 8" coil.

my coil specs:
15 turn pri 1/4 cu tubing
1750 turn sec 4.5"-41" on pvc polyester reason coated.
srsg
69nf mmc geek cap
terry frits filter and safety gap
2, 12/60 nst's   135volt variac.