Re: Calculating and Measuring Resonant Frequency / Inductance of Secondary Coil (magnifier)

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Bart,

That is completely normal for a magnifier and even a classic coil.  This is
known in simplest terms as "frequency splitting" and occurs whenever there
are
multiple resonant networks within a system.  This effect is less obvious in
classic double resonant tesla coils as the coupling is much lower.  (The
lower the
coupling, the closer the frequency split humps are closer to the "natural"
frequency of the individual tuned (isolated) circuits.  With a magnifier,
the coupling is much
higher and the frequency split humps are much further away from the
independent natural frequencies of the individual resonant networks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Good point and true. I performed my setup by making all 3 coils the
same. I started measurements last night. There are some interesting
scenario's with magnifiers, and especially in my little situation. For
example, although all 3 are at 180kHz on my own, with the extra coil
over the driver, when the base is driven I'm meausuring 142 kHz (i.e.,
2 coils in series and a single topload affecting both). That kind of
thing. Fun stuff! I'll post details once I have them.

Take care,
Bart