From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:33 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Secondary size

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Hi Luke
The larger toroid above tends to aim the sparks upward and helps prevent
arcs to the primary. To see with and with out the smaller toroid see:
http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#6%20inch%20co
il%20(the%20best%20ones)
(all one address)
The toroid E field tends to direct them up. My 6 inch coil (on the same
page) puts out a max spark of 96 inches from a 32 inch winding (i.e. a 3
times ratio) and never strikes to the primary with 2 toroids.
Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder)