Re: Secondary size

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Luke,

You probably have to accept, that these proportions were developed trough
experiments, rather than by calculations.

But let me offer an explanation, still:

A teslacoil secondary system has inductance and capacitance. The inductance
is residing in the coil alone, whereas the capacitance is compounded by the
coil self capacitance, and the topload capacitance.
The charge that is on the topload is available for streamer formation, but
the charge that is on the coil self capacitance is not, because it would
have to travel trough the coil to get to the topload, and streamer, and
this is a slow process.

Since we want long streamers, we want the majority of the total capacitance
to be -topload capacitance_.

Since the coil self capacitance is increasing with coil diametre and
length, and we need a certain length to keep the coil from arching end to
end, it follows that to get a small capacitance, it is an advantage to use
as small a diametre as possible.

We cannot go too low on diametre either, because if we did, it would take
so many turns to create enough inductance, that the wire would have to be
too thin to make it.

Along these lines, trough experiment, and probably also aestetic judgement:
(does it look pleasing) the present coil has evolved.

I know Bill Wysoc introduced the toroid in the late seventies, the conical
primary was abandoned within the last 3-4 years, and so on it goes.

I think it is good that you ask these questions, because it is a chance for
all of us to think about just why the present coil looks like what it does.

And perhaps you yourself will gain enough interest to start experimenting,
or perhaps solve the equation by calculation.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

msnip........