Re: expected arc length?

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/16/04 10:17:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: Steven <studbubba_2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Given a standard 15kv 30ma NST.  If I built everything else, to best use
>the available power, what could i reasonably hope for in spark length.  I
>have gotten 22" arcs with my current setup  3" secondary, flat primary and
>a .005 mf capacitor with a forced air quenched static gap of .343
>inches.  Yeah, i hear that the static gap may be too large but it gave the
>best arc length with my setup....and hey, isnt arc length the goal.
>
>And, if someone wanted to suggest a change in secondary or capacitor sizes
>i would be interested in your thoughts.
>
>thanks
>Steve Lalumandier

Steve,

The spark length will depend on whether you power the NST
with 120 volts, or if you use a 140 volt step up variac which folks
often use.  Using the 140 volt input, I've obtained at least 45"
sparks using a 15/30 NST.  Using 120 volts, you should obtain
about 40" or so.  You can see a coil which uses a 15/30 NST
based coil which gives 40" or so at 120 bps (If I am remembering
the details properly) at John Morawa's website.  This site can
be reached via a link from my site at:

<http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Or you can access John Morawa's site directly at:

<http:/home-dot-comcast-dot-net/~morawaj/tesla/frame.html>http:/home-dot-comcast-dot-net/~morawaj/tesla/frame.html

Both my TT-42 TC, and John's coil which is based on my work,
use LTR caps, SRSGs, and a narrow, many-turn secondary,
and a smooth spun toroid.  Without the SRSG, you'll most
likely obtain somewhat shorter sparks.

John