Re: MOT mod.

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Chris,
Most MOT's put out a volt per turn, so you would need 5 turns through the
core for 5 volts.

However, the ratio is not cast in stone.  Try a temporary winding with 4
turns of #12 or #10 wire, and see what voltage you get across your tube
filament.  (Do not apply high voltage to the plate while you are measuring
the filament voltage).  Measure the voltages directly at the tube pins.

Add any additional turns you need to get the working voltage you need.

For two tubes, you can pull two parallel windings through the core at the
same time, and use one winding for each tube.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether the shunts are beneficial when
using a MOT core for a filament transformer.  My inclination would be to
remove them to save wasted power, but it has been proposed that they would
limit the inrush current when the tube is first turned on, and the
filaments are cold, with lower than nominal operating resistance.  Standard
filament transformers do not usually have shunts.

HTH,
Dave